A good thesis statement identifies the topic and makes an assertion
about it. Evaluate each of the following sentences, and explain why
each one either works or doesn’t work as a thesis statement.
1. Americans are suffering from overwork.
2. Life is indeed precious, and I believe the death penalty helps to
affirm this fact.
3. Birthday parties are loads of fun.
4. New York is a city of sounds: muted sounds and shrill sounds,
shattering sounds and soothing sounds, urgent sounds and aim-
5. Everyone is talking about the level of violence in American society.